Extra columns slow down sql?

XpertWorlock

I got a question which I will use an example which everyone can understand, let's say you have a forum.  Now you want to show the post count of a user.  Now there are two ways of doing it, slow and taxing on the server vs faster and instant.

A.  Count all the posts of a user

B.  Have a column strictly for post count

Now, if someone was going to go B., it would be quicker.  The actual question is, let's say you have multiple instances where going the B. route would be more efficient, is having 5-20 extra columns a bad thing in a database table? 

Is there such thing as too many columns, as going the B. way would be much more efficient?

Thanks

It mostly depends on how often you would do this operation (displaying post-count). Also remember, that keeping this value updated also requires some resources.

As far as extra columns slowing down the database... not really unless you do SELECT * a lot. You can also do vertical partitioning by moving some of the columns to another table in 1-to-1 relation with your users table.

And yeah, there is a maximum limit of columns in MySQL table. It's in manual... somewhere... I always have problems finding it... :P It's more than 200 AFAIR.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.