grab unique rows

aebstract

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM calendar WHERE MONTH(caldate) = '$calmonth2' && YEAR(caldate) = '$calyear' ORDER BY DAY(caldate) LIMIT 1") or DIE(mysql_error());

I have 4 rows, they have a field called event_tag. I want to grab 1 result from each unique event_tag. My query is obviously wrong, but I'm hoping I'm close and not much needs to be changed. Thanks

I have 4 rows, they have a field called event_tag. I want to grab 1 result from each unique event_tag. My query is obviously wrong, but I'm hoping I'm close and not much needs to be changed. Thanks

How do you decide which of the 4 rows for an event tag that you want to bring back. If you just want a list of the event tags then the code Hybride gives should do fine. However if you want the (say) latest row of the 4 for an event tag then something different is required (and could do with the table layout to help there).

All the best

Keith

Hi

Cheap and nasty way to do it

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM calendar WHERE MONTH(caldate) = '$calmonth2' && YEAR(caldate) = '$calyear' ORDER BY DAY(caldate) GROUP BY event_tag LIMIT 1") or DIE(mysql_error());

Won't work in most flavours of SQL but MySQL seems to manage it.

All the best

Keith

Hi

:'( . Made a mistake. The ORDER BY clause has to go after the GROUP BY clause

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM calendar WHERE MONTH(caldate) = '$calmonth2' && YEAR(caldate) = '$calyear' GROUP BY event_tag ORDER BY DAY(caldate) LIMIT 1") or DIE(mysql_error()); 

Although I suspect you don't want the LIMIT 1 there (which was in your original SQL.

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM calendar WHERE MONTH(caldate) = '$calmonth2' && YEAR(caldate) = '$calyear' GROUP BY event_tag ORDER BY DAY(caldate)") or DIE(mysql_error()); 

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.