Echoing mysql query

kristen

Normally, when I run a query, it is in this format:

$query = "SELECT * FROM table where id='$id'";

$result = mysql_query($query); 

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

echo $query;

which I like, because then I can add that "echo $query;" at the end and make sure all my variables are passing correctly. However, now I am forced to work within someone elses code, and I need to be sure that I am querying what I want to be querying, and the format is like this:

return $this->_db->sql_select_one("table", '*', array('id'=>$id));

return array();

How can I print out what the query is that I am using?

Thanks for any help, I am fairly new at this and I am driving myself crazy here!!

Depending on the library being used, there may not be any way of doing that, if for example they are using prepared statements. 

The first thing you need to do, is take a look at the database class and analyze it.  See if it provides any sort of debugging switches you can turn on.  You will need to understand how the library works.  When you get errors, you may have to take a look at the mysql error returned and use that to reverse engineer the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Re: analyzing errors - how about printing them out in full? All I get right now is "You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '0 LIMIT 1' at line 1"

Unfortunately that is all that's available from the mysql_error().

You can always go into the class and alter it to provide you a better form of debugging, or use it to derive a new class that has additions for your benefit.  This is one of the benefits of oop.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.