Website Professionals Who Should Be Run Out Of Town, Hidden text, they own your

jspodisus

We have all heard bad stories about incompetent or dishonest web service companies who aggressively sell their services and claim to be TopGun, WhiteHat, ExpertGuru professionals.

Sometimes they don't even know that their methods are crap and will be ready to fight if you suggest that there is anything just slightly wrong with their service.

Yesterday I went to the office of a friend who is a very professional and competent person. He knows that I am all about websites and he was excited to tell me that he just got a website for his practice. We do a quick visit to it while I was at his office and he asks me to "take a look and let me know what you think" as I go out the door.

So, I go home, a bit afraid to check out the site and, yep it was bad... it was worse than expected. sad.gif

-- Hidden text on every page.

-- Description and title tags are horrible (incorrect capitalization, grammar, punctuation)

(not what you want on the site of a very professional person)

-- The webservice company is listed as the registrant of the domain

You have probably been asked to "take a look and let me know what you think" before... How do you reply when you find this type of work?

I am just going to be factual and say.... "Your webdesign person owns your domain and they have hidden text on the site that could get you banned from Google." Probably a good thing that I discovered this at home and have an opportunity to cool off about it. If I would have seen it while at his office I would have been cussing laugh.gif

Those you who work on websites for a living are in an even more awkward position than I am... because if you say.. "the person who built your site is a rat" it will look like you are trying to steal their business. smile.gif

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.