How to tie in a multiple choice search form to my PHP code?

CountryGirl

which would have worked if she had not have already had a pre-existing loop in place but nice example ;)

but she still can alter her query to have the WHERE in place for her search then match it with the % wilcard syntax.

Here is the fix:

WHERE asmnt_parcel.Account LIKE '{$search}%'

this will match any partial searches with the % sign after it

which would have worked if she had not have already had a pre-existing loop in place but nice example ;)

but she still can alter her query to have the WHERE in place for her search then match it with the % wilcard syntax.

Here is the fix:

WHERE asmnt_parcel.Account LIKE '{$search}%'

this will match any partial searches with the % sign after it

Yes, I was doing that and it works, but what I'm having trouble with is tying in the 3 different choices to search by - account #, name & legal.

They are in my search form, but how do I tie my PHP code to make it so that when someone selects "name" they can search by Smith, John. Or when someone selects "Account #", they can search by the proper account number.

Thanks!

Qadoshyah

Okay, I'm messing around with trying to figure this out. I tried the following:

WHERE $selectName = $search OR $selectName = $search OR $selectName = $search

and also

WHERE $selectName->Account = $search OR $selectName->OwnersName = $search OR $selectName->Legal = $search

And my search form is modified to look like this:

<tr><td><select name="selectName[]" size="3" multiple="multiple">
                     <option value="<?php echo $selectName->Account;?>">Account #</option>
                     <option value="<?php echo $selectName->OwnersName;?>">Name</option>
                     <option value="<?php echo $selectName->Legal;?>">Legal</option>

But, that doesn't work. I get error messages back saying "Unknown column 'Array' in 'where clause':".

Am I anywhere close to tying this search in? Do I need to add something to my code (I think I probably do, I just don't know what!).

Thanks!!

Qadoshyah

couldnt you do something like this :confused:

WHERE asmnt_parcel.Account LIKE '{$search}%' OR asmnt_parcel.OwnersName LIKE '{$search}%'  OR asmnt_legal.Legal LIKE '{$search}%'

Yes, I could. And I have done that. That has worked fine. But, when I try to add anymore OR statements to be able to search by let's say Parcel ID, the search starts slowing down and doesn't seem to work well. I have successfully done 4 OR statements, but after that, I can't add anymore in. They just take forever and never bring up the results page.

Qadoshyah

what about something like this then :confused:

<?php
$query = "
        SELECT * FROM asmnt_parcel
        WHERE MATCH(asmnt_parcel.Account,asmnt_parcel.OwnersName,asmnt_legal.Legal) AGAINST ('$search')
    ";?> 

using this as an example you can add more Values ;)

what about something like this then :confused:

<?php
$query = "
        SELECT * FROM asmnt_parcel
        WHERE MATCH(asmnt_parcel.Account,asmnt_parcel.OwnersName,asmnt_legal.Legal) AGAINST ('$search')
    ";?> 

using this as an example you can add more Values ;)

Full text searching doesn't work too well with my database because of the way I need results to be returned. I tried a full text BOOLEAN search also. It doesn't return exact results like I need it to. Just because of the way full text searching works. Like If I searched "Smith, Tom" it's going to return his result, but also anything with the word Tom in it. I need exact results returned.

That's why I think the multiple choice search form would be the best. But, so far, I can't figure out how to tie in the multiple choices!  :facewall:

Qadoshyah

Sorry not to have posted recently, but had to sort something for a customer.

Are there still points in my original solution that you do not understand. Do you need help in making it specific to your form?

Yes, I do need help in making it specific for my form. I'm not understanding how exactly to implement it. I have a while loop (as I've posted up above). But, I really don't understand how to tie in the multiple choice search form.

Thank you for any help! No problem on the delay ;)!

Qadoshyah

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.