Need some advices on RSS reader

silvercover

Hi Guys  :),

I need to make desktop based RSS reader (in desktop RAD tools). I know how to fetch RSS feeds and load headlines and contents into my application. Obviously we can ping remote site once in a while to check for new entries in its RSS, but I prefer not doing this and have my server side application be notified about new entries and send notification to my client application for making it ready parse new entries.

I think server side application could be written in PHP and can have some sort of TCP/IP connection (Socket) to desktop application. first of all I need your advices and tips on this theory and if possible, please guide me to the right direction.

What should I do?  :confused:

What's the best way?

Thanks in Advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not an expert in RSS, but as fat i know RSS is only a XML file which can only be accessed and can access back... as far i know  ::)

But i could be wrong. On every single API i encountered until now (opera mozila mobiile rss reader...) you have to acess the page to check if there are new chanels.

As far i know it is not possible, as far...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.