PHP 5.3.1 Apache 2.2.14 - PHPinfo() not working

File test.php with <?php phpinfo(); ?> downloads, does not run?

I had Apache 2,214 and PHP 5.3.0 working fine (including above), but just installed PHP 5.3.1. Initially Apache would not start, after a lot of headaches and web searches, I found that commenting out  PHP.ini line would solve this problem:

[php_MSSQL]

;extension=php_mssql.dll

(Following further advice, I commented out all the extensions except extension=php_mysql.dll  extension=php_mysqli.dll  extension=php_openssl.dll)

Apache now appears to be working, most of my HTML files and PHP code appear to work, with the exception of a simple PHP script to test PHP, PHPinfo(). When I attempt to run this, (using Google Chrome), it downloads the php file, rather than running it?

The PHP file simply contains one line:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Why does this file now download rather than giving me my system PHP information

I believe I have overcome this, but dont really know what problem was. It is strange (at least to me who is  just a month into my personal PHP journey).

It is something to do with this specific file. If I use phpinfo() within another script it works fine. I have created a new file test2.php with the same text

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

and this works. I have even shut down PC and tried test.php again, but it still downloads. It appears to be something to do with caching of the test.php file. I even deleted test.php and then renamed test1.php to test.php, but this still downloaded.

I think I will just delete this file and move on. However, if someone has the answer as to why a php file would download, rather than opening (or how to investigate the reason), I would be interested.

FYI, PHP 3.5.0 was removed using Windows add/remove program. (I uninstalled PHP 3.5.0 as it was installed without PEAR options, which I wanted to try). I no longer had the 3.5.0 installer , so downloaded 3.5.1 (php-5.3.1-Win32-VC6-x86.msi on my XP machine). After rebooting I installed 3.5.1 with the msi installer (and also selected the optional PEAR installation). Most likely related is that when I tried running go-pear.bat from the php directory I get the Windows command line screen error..

phar "C:\Program Files\PHP\PEAR\go-pear.phar" does not have a signaturePress any

key to continue . . . I still have this problem to resolve.

Thanks

It may be your browsers cache causing the download. Try clearing your browsers cache and try test.php again.

For some reason go-pear.bat does not work properly only Windows. For a work a round open a command line and cd to your PHP installation folder, eg

cd C:/Program Files/PHP

Now run the following command

php.exe -d phar.require_hash=0 go-pear.phar

You should be able to setup pear now

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.