PHP File Upload Form Doesn't Work

Punk Rock Geek

The form works when I put the upload folder inside of the same directory as the php file.  So:

$target_path = "upload/";

Works.

However, if the upload folder is in a parent directory, it does not work.  I have tried:

$target_path = "$_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]/upload/";

And

$target_path = "../upload/";

Help?

When your page contains $target_path = "$_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]/upload/"; you are getting a blank page because that is a fatal syntax error and your code is never executed.

When learning php, developing php code, or in this case debugging php code, please do it on a server with error_reporting set to E_ALL and display_errors set to ON in your master php.ini so that php will help you by displaying all the errors it detects. You will save a TON of time. Stop and start your server to get any change made to the master php.ini to take effect and confirm the settings afterwards in case the php.ini that you are changing is not the one that php is using.

$target_path = $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] . "/upload/";

Got these errors when I turned on all PHP errors:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/var/www/html/upload/homepage01.gif) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/*****/public_html/modules/add_file.php on line 94

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpVUAjh7' to '/var/www/html/upload/homepage01.gif' in /home/*****/public_html/modules/add_file.php on line 94

(***** kept blank for privacy reasons.)

Did you read the errors? They are telling you why the code does not work - No such file or directory And since the path list in the error /var/www/html/videos/  has nothing to do with code you have been posting in this thread, it will be a little hard for anyone to actually help you until you get your code to match what you are trying to do.

For simpicity's sake, I have been changing it to "upload" in this topic. (I just forgot to change it that time.) The name of the actual directory is videos.  And yes, it exists in my root folder, and it is CHMOD'd to 777.

$target_path = "videos/";

uploads correctly.

And

$target_path = $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] . "videos/";

returns the error in my previous post.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.