md5 is it unique

monkeytooth

I know this is most likely one of many simple questions that can be found semi easily. But I'm pressed for time. I have searched google, php.net, etc. But it only tells me how to make md5 hashes. Ok great that part I knew.

What I am curious of is, if I create a md5 hash and store it as a session a cookie, or an entry in a database for later comparison with something else. If I followed the same exact method of creating the variable for the session, with the same exact data, would it create the same exact hash as before or would it create a new hash that would be diffrent

example

$session_key =  md5('Name-of-Product'.'Price'.'Shipping');

$compare_key = md5('Name-of-Product'.'Price'.'Shipping');

for the example above I would initial hash the info for the $session_key

through a series of different actions the user will eventually end up sending the data through the site via some form of variable or another $_POST or $_GET what I am tempting to do is want to make sure that if i take the user provided data that it matches that of the session I created earlier by comparing the 2 hash strings..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.