javascript links bringing up white page

tyhoerr

Here's what I'm trying to do: I need a div to pop-up below a list item with more information (that will basically describe the list item in detail). I also need the div code to be included on the same page- not called from a separate php file.

I've cut out the bulky content and included the styles attached to the elements in the code below (instead of leaving the classes I'm using).

<ul>
<li><a href="javascript:document.getElementById('1').style.display='inline'">First List Item</a> <br />
<div id="1" style="display:none;">
Pop-up content.
</div>
</li>

<li><a href="javascript:document.getElementById('2').style.display='inline'">Second List Item</a><br />
<div id="2"  style="display:none;">
More Pop-up content.
</div>
</li>
</ul>

This works fantastic in Safari... but for some reason, not in firefox. (these are the only two I've tested). In Firefox, clicking the links opens a blank white page with the sinlge word inline.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? Or a more efficient way of accomplishing this task (without a mess of attached .js files),

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.