Check next word for numeric value

AtomicRax

I'm searching the $content string for certain words, and if those words are in there, my program flags it. The problem I'm having is that a couple of these words have the option of having a number behind them. I'm not trying to flag the ones with numbers after them.. Is there a way to to this? This is a rough example of what I'm trying to do...

$content = "Crazy Random Apple 43 Left Apple Truck Plane Turtle Duck";
$needles = array("Random", "Apple", "Duck");

$spaced = split(" ", $content);
foreach($needles as $pin) {
foreach($spaced as $cstring) {
if($cstring == "Apple") { $alert = '1'; } // Found a word with possible number afterwards
elseif($alert == '1') {
if(is_numeric($cstring)) { $alert = '0'; } // Not what I want, so I reset the marker
else { flag($cstring); } // Flagged, and marker reset
}
elseif ($cstring == $needle && $alert != '1') { flag($cstring); } // Flag regular word
}}

My thought was to check to see if it's one with a possible number, then set an alert. The program would then go to the next word and since the alert was set, it would check to see if the next word is a number or not and respond accordingly, and then of course I'm still checking for the other word(s)..

"Apple" still gets flagged twice... It should only be flagged once.

No luck at all.... :(

We need to know precisely what you're doing at the moment to flag words as any help given could be incompatible with the way you're doing things. So, could you give an overview (code would be awesome) of the process you go through when searching the content?

Edit: Thanks... I'll take a look and reply later if no-one else has. :)

elseif ($cstring == $needle && $alert != '1') { flag($cstring); } // Flag regular word

Is actually

elseif ($cstring == $pin && $alert != '1') { flag($cstring); } // Flag regular word

That was just a typo in the post...not me fixing the problem. (Couldn't modify the post anymore)

Personally, I'd recommend taking a look at how regular expressions work and how they could help you accomplish what you're trying to do. I've looked at your code, and this works for me although I'm not entirely sure if it's exactly what you're after.

<?php

$words = split(" ", $content);

foreach($words as $word) {
  foreach ($needles as $needle) {
    if ($word == $needle) {
      // Flag regular word
      flag($word);

$alert = 1;
    }
  }
  if ($alert == 1) {
    if (is_numeric($word)) {
      $alert = 0;
    }
    else {
      flag($word);
    }
  }
}
?>
[code]

Personally, I'd recommend taking a look at how regular expressions work and how they could help you accomplish what you're trying to do. I've looked at your code, and this works for me although I'm not entirely sure if it's exactly what you're after.

<?php

$words = split(" ", $content);

foreach($words as $word) {
  foreach ($needles as $needle) {
    if ($word == $needle) {
      // Flag regular word
      flag($word);

$alert = 1;
    }
  }
  if ($alert == 1) {
    if (is_numeric($word)) {
      $alert = 0;
    }
    else {
      flag($word);
    }
  }
}
?>

No, that doesn't help. Thanks though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.