Local Access from windows

fourshores

Hello all. I am totally noob for Linux((( I need help please.

At work i got server based on linux. Yesterday we brought a 2000 Gb disk and connected him as save mode (dual copy). With "clicking method" i did a share to local network. All other computers with win xp see it, but cant create folders there. I have tried some mixes of settings in samba, but didnt help(((( how to solve this problem?????

Thank you.

post your smb.conf file and I'll take a look. There are numerous settings including workgroup, permissions, etc., and also whether you have set up a domain, and there's really no way to tell until I can look at the file. Feel free to obfuscate the file if there is sensitive or telling information in it.

• 4 weeks later...

All other computers with win xp see it, but cant create folders there.

If your Windows computers cannot even create folders there then it's a permissions problem and has nothing to do with Linux (or samba).  Go back to the shared drive, right-click and go to "Sharing and Security", and make sure that all of the users have full control (read/write).  Get it working from other Windows systems first and then you can try diagnosing issues with samba connections (if necessary).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.