RSS and PHP

jgamble

Hey yall,

I am in the middle of creating a RSS feed for work, that is pulling data from a PSQL database and displaying it. I am having a problem getting it to display the days that I want it to though. I only want it to display events that are happening today and tomorrow, but I cannot get it to display anything unless I am showing the events that end today. Below are my two select statements. The top one works, the bottom does not.

$query = "SELECT * FROM web.events WHERE date_end = '".date("m/d/Y")."' ORDER BY date_begin ASC";

$query = "SELECT * FROM web.events WHERE date_end >= '".date("m/d/Y")."' AND date_begin <= '".date("m/d/Y")."' ORDER BY date_begin ASC";

Does anyone know of a better way to do this? I don't understand why the only information that will display is when the date_end = todays date. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I think you want to use an OR in that statement

$query = "SELECT * FROM web.events WHERE date_end >= '".date("m/d/Y")."' OR date_begin <= '".date("m/d/Y")."' ORDER BY date_begin ASC";

An event could start before today or tomorrow but end on these days. As well an event could start today or tomorrow but not end until after these days.

Now that I look closer, even that looks wrong. I think you want this:

$query = "SELECT * FROM web.events WHERE (date_end >= '".date("m/d/Y",$today)."' AND date_end <= '".date("m/d/Y",$tomorrow)."') OR (date_begin >= '".date("m/d/Y",$today)."' AND date_begin <= '".date("m/d/Y",$tomorrow)."') ORDER BY date_begin ASC";

That should get all events that either start or end today or tomorrow. I hope that's what you wanted. You will need to define $today and $tomorrow though.

Thanks for your fast response. I have tried out your code and I have figured out that I messed up at the beginning. The way that date_begin and date_end are formatted is YYYY-MM-DD, and when I try to change the code to reflect that, it isn't working. I am getting the error "Invalid argument supplied for foreach().

This is the entire code

$today = date("Y-m-d");
$tomorrow = mktime(0,0,0,date("Y"),date("m"),date("d")+1);

//get data from table web.events
$query = "SELECT * FROM web.events WHERE (date_end >= '".date("Y-m-d",$today)."' AND date_end <= '".date("Y-m-d",$tomorrow)."') OR (date_begin >= '".date("Y-m-d",$today)."' AND date_begin <= '".date("Y-m-d",$tomorrow)."') ORDER BY date_begin DESC";
$result = pg_query($query);

while ($line = pg_fetch_array($result))
      {
        $return[] = $line;
   }
//this is the first part of the output file which shows the title and description for the entire page
$output = "         

<title>Greater Raleigh Events</title> 
                    <link>http://www.visitraleigh.com/test/jon/jobs_test_old.php</link>
                    <description>Upcoming events in the Greater Raleigh Area</description>
                    <language>en-us</language>
                    <lastBuildDate>".date("D, d M Y h:m:s T")."</lastBuildDate>
                    <managingEditor>jgamble@visitRaleigh.com (Jon Gamble)</managingEditor>
                    <webMaster>jgamble@visitRaleigh.com (Jon Gamble)</webMaster>
            ";
// For each event in the array, it returns the title, url and description and adds it to the end of the output			
foreach ($return as $line)
{

$output .= "<item>
				<title>".htmlentities($line['title'])."</title>
                    <link>".htmlentities($line['url'])."</link>
                    <description>".$line['description']."</description>
                </item>";

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.