Single Quote and Special Character Question...

overlordofevil

Hey all,

I have a question and its probably a really simple thing to figure out but i am drawing a blank on how to do it.

Basically I am trying to use single quotes or special characters when inputting data into my db but i have errors that come up.

with the single quotes if I put in a name like de'salla or I use it in a contraction like it's, her's etc it will store in my db but when I try to use the data in another string or query I always get an error with php where it breaks on the single quote and won't continue to process the request.

So I have 2 variables

$name = De'salla;

$reason = "Update for user $name";

When I go to insert the value Reason the query will error out becasue the $name value has a single quote in it.

This is the basic issues and I know you might need more info but I am wondering is there a php function out that that i can use to correct this issue.

Thanks

Bill

any strings you input into a database need to be escaped. meaning quotes and special characters get formatted to db friendly values (ie. " or ' goes to \" and \'). This is so:

-your code doesn't break

-people don't try to inject into your database (search form injection for an example).

here is what i do for all my queries:

$sql = sprintf("INSERT INTO table (string_a,string_b) VALUES ('%s','%s','%s','%s')", mysql_real_escape_string($string), mysql_real_escape_string($string));

use sprintf to insert strings, ints, decimals etc to your sql string. use mysql_real_escape_string on strings to escape any special characters.

cool sounds simple enough. :)

so with the characters being  escaped to make them db friendly if I do a query to call the same values and echo them on the screen will they display correctly or will i have the backslash in it..

I appreciate you guys explaining this to me just got confused on it. :)

Thanks again

Bill

Thank you both for the feedback and help..

I used the code example to help modify my code and it made things work with no issues.

Just one other question.. do special characters like & or % get taken care of by this function or is there another one i need to use.

Thanks

Bill

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.