need help with unlink function

doforumda

hi

i want to delete image from the server using unlink function but it is not working. it does not delete the image and it does not display any errors as well. here is my code

<?php
session_start();
include("dbConnect.php");
$photo = @$_POST['photo'];
$deletephoto = @$_POST['deletephoto'];

if($photo) {
$get = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM photos WHERE userid='$_SESSION[userid]' AND profile='1'");
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($get);
$profile = $row['location'];
//echo $profile."<br>";
$make_profile = mysql_query("UPDATE photos SET profile='1' WHERE userid='$_SESSION[userid]' AND location='$photo'");
if($make_profile) {
	$unmake_profile = mysql_query("UPDATE photos SET profile='0' WHERE userid='$_SESSION[userid]' AND location='$profile'");
}
}

if($deletephoto) {
$count = count($deletephoto);
for($i = 0; $i < $count; $i++) {
	//echo $deletephoto[$i]."<br>";
	$delete_photos = mysql_query("DELETE FROM photos WHERE userid='$_SESSION[userid]' AND location='$deletephoto[$i]'");
	//echo $deletephoto[$i];
	unlink($deletephoto[$i]);
}
}
//die();
header("Location: photos.php");
?>

in second if statment i am using unlink as you can see. there $deletephoto[$i] variable has something like this "photos/image.jpg".

how can this be solved to work?

create a php file whose contents is "<?php echo $_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']; ?>" (without the "")

place that php file into your photos folder

open that php file in your internet browser

check to make sure that path matches the one your photos are using, if not, correct the problem.

scarhand has you on the right track for this.  Your first mistake is that you don't check or save the result of the unlink function.  It returns true or false. 

The second issue is that clearly you do not have the full path of the photo file in the database.  That needs to be corrected unless the path relative to this script (the photos directory)  is off the current directory.  Without knowing the *real* filesystem path to where the photos reside, it is hard to say what the path should be, or if scarhand's advice is helpfull, although even if it is, you probably need to use dirname($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']) or some variation of that.  The first step is to figure out where on the server the photos have actually been stored.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.