How to check if mailto link has been pressed?

davey10101

Hi,

Does anyone know how to check if a mailto link has been pressed?

In my code I have an email link for a user but want to record if the mailto link has been pressed and add a record to a <textarea> box

<?php echo "<a href=mailto:$Email>$Email</a>";?>

any ideas?

Thanks

Ahhh just realised my textarea is done in php....

Saving the text inside the textarea to my database is done using php...

So I can't use javascript to add a message 'onClick' to the textarea :(

All I want to do is just add a simple message to the textarea to say "Email Sent" when the user clicks on the mailto link..  There must be away to do this surely?

Ahhh just realised my textarea is done in php....

Saving the text inside the textarea to my database is done using php...

So I can't use javascript to add a message 'onClick' to the textarea :(

All I want to do is just add a simple message to the textarea to say "Email Sent" when the user clicks on the mailto link..  There must be away to do this surely?

I think you have a disconnect between what PHP and JavaScript do. PHP is used to create the HTML output that is sent to the browser. The browser does not know or care "how" that HTML content is produced (flat file, PHP, ASP, etc.). JavaScript is included in the HTML code and allows functionality to occure within the browser.

The fact that you create the text area in PHP has no relevance on whether you can implement JavaScript. You will just nclude the JavaScript code in the output created by the PHP code. I'll post an example in a sec.

As mjdamato said, the difference between JavaScript and PHP is that PHP is server side while JS is client side.

It's definitely do-able with JavaScript, but won't necessarily be reliable in the instance a user has disabled JavaScript on their browser. I'd say your best bet would be to use Ajax because it would be "behind the scenes". If you use MooTools like I mentioned earlier (or similar), it should be relatively easy.

If you add some more details, I should be able to come up with something, such as what else would be passed along (session id, username, etc.) to the page being called via Ajax?

Here is an example PHP script which dynamically creates the email links and includes JavaScript to populate a textarea based on which links are clicked.

<?php
$contacts = array (
    'Michael' => 'michael@domain.com',
    'Jane' => 'jane@domain.com',
    'Dave' => 'dave@domain.com',
    'Linda' => 'linda@domain.com',
    'Bob' => 'bob@domain.com'
);

//Create email links
$emailLinks = '';
foreach($contacts as $name => $email)
{
    $emailLinks .= "<a href=\"mailto:{$email}\" onclick=\"addEmailToList('{$name}: {$email}');\">{$name}</a><br />\n";
}

?>
<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function addEmailToList($value)
{
    var textareaObj = document.getElementById('emailList');
    textareaObj.value += ((textareaObj.value)?'\n':'') + $value;
    return true;
}
</script>
</head>
<body>
Send an email to the following people:<br />
<?php echo $emailLinks; ?>
<br /><br /><br />
Email links clickd:<br />
<textarea id="emailList" style="width:300px;height:150px;"></textarea>
</body>
</html>

...won't necessarily be reliable in the instance a user has disabled JavaScript on their browser. I'd say your best bet would be to use Ajax because it would be "behind the scenes".

What?! JavaScript is needed to run AJAX. When the user clicks the link you already have all the information you need in the browser (i.e. JavaScript can access it). So, what benefit would there be in using AJAX to do a server-side call? You would only be having the client-side JavaScript sending information based on what the user clicked to a server page so that page can return back what? The same information it just sent?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.