Maintaining hyperlinks when storing documents in Mysql blobs

midgley

Hello,

I've been tasked with creating a secure CMS and have up until now had little trouble, however i seem to have hit a brick wall. The problem is that many of the documents have embedded hyperlinks to other documents held on the system and I’m really not sure how to maintain the links.

The only workaround I can think of is to somehow redirect 404s to a script that takes the URL and wildcards it against the name of documents in the database but this is obviously a troublesome solution.

Anybody got any better ideas, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

so you have a link inside content to another url. the content is manged through an administration interface, assumed. what is it that you are looking to maintain in the content of the document?

You mention links, however what about them do you need to maintain and why? do you need to update them when a document is no longer active or it's been deleted? do you need to change attributes in the href based upon some other logical sequence?

w/o knowing specific needs you could...

- have a script in the admin tool that can be ran by an admin user to clean up existing content. which then grabs the content, parses out the links from the text and makes changes as determined by your business logic.

- use javascript after the document is rendered to modify links that need to be modified

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.