Setting a default value to a combo box?

shure2

Hi,

I have scoured the net and can't find an answer so I wondered if you guys can help.

I have a combo box that selects data from a database, I can then add the selection of the combo box and other fields to another table, however when I do this with php the page refreshes and the value of the combo box changes back to the default order (where I want it to show the option I just added to the database)

I have tried the below code, theoretically I thought it might work but it doesn't (the leadProductCategory is the combo box selection that I add to the database - it is set in the php file where I add to the database).

$selectLeadProductCatQuery = "SELECT * FROM category where userid = '".$_SESSION['userid']."' ORDER BY .'".$_SESSION['leadProductCategory']."';
		$selectLeadProductCatResult = mysql_query($selectLeadProductCatQuery) or die(mysql_error());

while($row1LeadProductCat=mysql_fetch_array($selectLeadProductCatResult))
                        { 
                             echo '<option value="'.$row1LeadProductCat['catname'].'">'.$row1LeadProductCat['catname'].'</option>'; 

}

I solved it by putting the value into a session variable when its added to the database and then used the following code:

<select name="leadprodcategory">
	<?php
		$selectLeadProductCatQuery = "SELECT * FROM category where userid = '".$_SESSION['userid']."' ORDER BY catname";
		$selectLeadProductCatResult = mysql_query($selectLeadProductCatQuery) or die(mysql_error());

while($row1LeadProductCat=mysql_fetch_array($selectLeadProductCatResult)) {

echo '<option value="' . $row1LeadProductCat['catname'].'"';
     if( $row1LeadProductCat['catname'] == $_SESSION['leadProductCategory'] ) { //change 'select_name' to the value of your <select name="
          echo ' selected="selected"';
     }
     echo '>' . $row1LeadProductCat['catname'] . '</option>';
}

?>
	</select>

hope this is useful for someone else!

This has been asked and answered many times on this forum. Here's a modification of your code that is cleaned up and more secure

<?php

$userID = mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['userid']);
    $query = "SELECT catname FROM category where userid = '{$userID}' ORDER BY catname";
    $result = mysql_query($selectLeadProductCatQuery) or die(mysql_error());

while($record = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
    {
        $selected = ($record['catname'] == $_SESSION['leadProductCategory']) ? ' selected="selected"': '';
        echo "<option value=\"{$record['catname']}\"{$selectred}>{$record['catname']}</option>\n";
    }
?>
</select>

This has been asked and answered many times on this forum. Here's a modification of your code that is cleaned up and more secure

<?php

$query = "SELECT catname FROM category where userid = '{$userID}' ORDER BY catname";
    $result = mysql_query($selectLeadProductCatQuery) or die(mysql_error());

while($record = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
    {
        $selected = ($record['catname'] == $_SESSION['leadProductCategory']) ? ' selected="selected"': '';
        echo "<option value=\"{$record['catname']}\"{$selectred}>{$record['catname']}</option>\n";
    }
?>
</select>

thank you for the advice and better technique, I modified my code and it works great, however I have a combo box which is slightly different and I'm struggling to do what I have with you code above to it.

<select name="leadid" onchange="showLeadName()">
	<?php
                        $query = "SELECT * FROM lead where userid = '{$userID}' ORDER BY leadname";
		$result = mysql_query($selectLeadQuery) or die(mysql_error());

while($record=mysql_fetch_array($result))
                        { ?>
                           <?php echo '<option value="'.$record['leadid'].'">'.$record['leadname'].'</option>'; ?>

<?php   }
	?>
    </select>

You are defining the string "$query", but then trying to run a query against the string "$selectLeadQuery" - which, presumably, does not exist.

<?php
    $query = "SELECT `leadid`, `leadname`
              FROM `lead`
              WHERE userid = '{$userID}'
              ORDER BY `leadname`";
    $result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
    {
        echo "<option value=\"{$record['leadid']}\">{$record['leadname']}</option>\n";
    }
?>
</select>

You are defining the string "$query", but then trying to run a query against the string "$selectLeadQuery" - which, presumably, does not exist.

<?php
    $query = "SELECT `leadid`, `leadname`
              FROM `lead`
              WHERE userid = '{$userID}'
              ORDER BY `leadname`";
    $result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
    {
        echo "<option value=\"{$record['leadid']}\">{$record['leadname']}</option>\n";
    }
?>
</select>

yes you are right, i started changing the code to reflect your advice but missed that variable, could you help me change the code like the other list box so that the session['leadname'] appears in the listbox as a default.

{
    $selected = ($record['leadname']==$_SESSION['leadname']) ? ' selected="selected"' : '';
    echo "<option value=\"{$record['leadid']}\"{$selected}>{$record['leadname']}</option>\n";
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.