help with mysql query

fraser5002

Hi i was wanting to know how i can sort my query based on the latitude value for each record minus a base latitude location and perform a secondry sort doing the same thing on the longitude value which should in theory produce the the array sorted by closest records first to the base lat long

i have this code below so farbut as i expected i get errors .  I dont know enough about mysql yet too work out how to do what i want

//
//
$query_accommodation="SELECT * FROM `accomodation` WHERE `lat` > ($hill_lat - 0.2) AND `lat` < ($hill_lat +0.2)AND `long` > ($hill_lon- 0.2) AND `long` < ($hill_lon + 0.2)"ORDER BY (`lat`-$hill_lat) ASC,(`long`-$hill_longitude) ASC ;
//
//

where $hill_longitude and $hill_lat are my base lat and long i will be comparing each record in the database too

p.s ( if i take out the order by bit this query works fine al be it not sorted)

Please help

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.