Server sent emails, now it will not. Nothing changed... help?

Jax2

Hi everyone. I'm trying to help a client set up an email cronjob to send out emails telling his employees they need to contact a  certain company each day, depending on the contact date.

I wrote my script, tested it the first time and found out I had an error, and for each of the 18 contacts that had to be sent out today, I sent 18 of them... for a total of 324 emails.

Oops.

I corrected the error and tried it again and this time it sent me all 18 contacts just as it should.

I tried it a third time and now it won't send anything at all, or at least, I'm not getting anything.

I have tried removing the mail() function and simply echoing each thing onto the page, and I'm getting all the correct data ... (As in, $to, $subject, $body, $headers) ... they show up perfect, but if I try and mail them again, no emails are being sent.

Here is the script. Some fast help would be appreciated!

<?php
include("includes/db.php");
$today=date('Y-m-d');
$from="XXXX@XXXXX.XXX";
$to="XXXX@XXXXX.XXX";
$subject="Contact call backs for ".$today."";
$headers = 'From: '.$from.'' . "\r\n" .
    'Reply-To: '.$from.'' . "\r\n" .
    'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

$sql="SELECT * FROM prospects WHERE contact_next='$today'";
$result=mysql_query($sql, $db);
$total=mysql_num_rows($result);
if ($total<1)
{
die();
}
ELSE
{
while ($row=mysql_fetch_array($result))
	{
$body="
".$row['representative'].",\r\n
The following company is scheduled for a call-back today, ".$today.".\r\n
Company: ".$row['company_name']."\r\n
Name: ".$row['firstname']." ".$row['lastname']."\r\n
Address: ".$row['address']."\r\n
City: ".$row['city'].", ".$row['province']."\r\n
Phone: ".$row['phone']."\r\n
Email: ".$row['email']."";

mail($to, $subject, $body, $headers);
	}
}
?>

Again, if I remove mail( and simply echo $to, $subject, $body, $headers, they all show up as correct. So, they SHOULD be getting sent out.

I found the problem ... apparently dreamhost, in their infinite wisdom, deemed it necessary to prevent anyone from sending out more than 100 emails in an hour.

Therefore, the first 324 I tried to send threw me over the hourly limit, and even though I was only trying to send 18 each time after, I was already suspended for the hour.

What a pile of junk. Hope I never need to send out newsletters to more than 100 people at a time :/

Is the script running on your own computer, or is it a webhost, or dedicated server?

The reason I ask is because the webhost could have changed the PHP mail settings, or even blocked your account from sending mail due to the 300+ in one go error.

You were right, of course. Thanks! If I hadn't contacted my host to bitch at them already, that would have helped a lot :P

Is the script running on your own computer, or is it a webhost, or dedicated server?

The reason I ask is because the webhost could have changed the PHP mail settings, or even blocked your account from sending mail due to the 300+ in one go error.

You were right, of course. Thanks! If I hadn't contacted my host to bitch at them already, that would have helped a lot :P

Nice one, glad you solved it. :D

I'm glad you solved it! I had the issue awhile back I started a directory on a site which automatically sent out email once the links were approved. I didn't check with my host and after I accepted 500 links at one time my host closed my account for violation of policies.  :'(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.