debugging MYSQL query problems

ack

Is there a way to force a diganostic message from a PHP script to explain why a a MYSQL query has failed?

I cannot get past the DIE message when the following code is executed:

/* Put the data into the database */

$query= "INSERT INTO buyselltrade (buysell,item,picture,desc,price,contact) VALUES ('$impbuysell','$impitem','$imppicture','$impdesc','$impprice','$impcontact')";

$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("could not save new data!");

I have carefully checked the puncturation against a working version of this script.  I have carefully checked the contents of the variables against the table structure.

Any ideas?

Thanks

- Ack

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the late response on this...

I DID get the problem solved!

katierosy's post helped isolate things a bit - I'll remember it next time!

Here is the "magic concept" that I learned:

Be CAREFUL of what you use for variable names!

Apparently, one of my variables was the same as a reserved word in either MYSQL or PHP.  I changed one of the variable names in the code and everything started to work!  Because I have slept a few times since the fix, I cannot report EXACTLY what the variable name was - I only remember that I renamed a variable that was vaguely like something one would find in a computer language reserved name list and things started working.

Newbie Debuging Tip:  If a Query isn't working and the punctuation is correct, strip all the variables out except for the first one then run the code. Add a variable to the lists one at a time until the code stops working.  The variable that you added when it failed is the problem.  The problem will be either a reserved word useage error or a naming mismatch somewhere in the code involving that variable.

Thanks to all who helped!   

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.