Getting divs in the right place ...

Jax2

Hi guys,

I have 3 divs set up on my site currently:

Container, square and answer ....

Container, of course, is the main body with a 95% width, auto margin, leaving a nice small section of background.

Square is a 100x100 square with a graphic behind the text.

Answer is a 600x100 rectangle with a graphic behind it. So far, so good.

Now, I created answer h1 and answer h2, one of them is an 18% top margin with size 22 text which says: Question: and the other is a size 18 with 22% top margin which states the title of a question a user asked. Both are set to float: left and work fine.

What I am trying to do now and failing at, is to get the body of the question to show up underneath the <h1> and <h2> tags inside the <div id="answer"> tags.

If I just type in the question body (Haven't set up the php yet) it shows up to the right of the <h1> and <h2> tags, as well as below them if it's long. I'd like it to be BELOW them.

Here is my current code that isn't working, perhaps you could help me figure this out?

<head>
<title>Questions & Answers</title>
<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>
<body class="qanda">
<div id="container">
<div align="center"><h3>Answers</h3></div>
<div id="square">
<h1>User: Jax2<h1>
</div>

<div id="answer">
<h1>Question: </h1>
<h2>What is the speed of light?</h2>
<div id="question">
I would like to know what the speed of light is. I need to know this for a science class
question that is coming up in the next few days. Please answer. I am making this long on 
purpose so I can see how it looks inside the background image.
</div><!-- END QUESTION-->
</div>

</div>

LOL! Ignore the question, it was just done to make sure it would all fit inside the answer background image ... :P Stupid, I know.

Here is the css if it helps:

body  
{
font: 100% Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
background: #000000;
background-image:url('images/background.gif'); 
margin: 0; 
padding: 0;
text-align: center;
}
.qanda #container
{
margin: 0 auto; 
width: 95%;
border: 1px solid #000000;
background: #FFFFFF;
height: 100%;
}
.qanda #square
{
width:100px; 
height: 100px; 
background-image:url('images/square.gif');
float: left;
background-position: center;
margin: 0px 0px 0px 3px;
}
.qanda #square h1
{
margin: 18px;
font-size: 12;

}
.qanda #answer
{
width:600px; 
height: 100px; 
background-image:url('images/questionBG.gif');
}
.qanda #answer h1
{
margin: 18px;
font-size: 22;
}
.qanda #answer h2
{
margin: 22px;
font-size: 18;
}
#question
{
font-size: 12;
text-align: left;
}

The question tag is only to set the height and alignment right now, I'm not sure what else I need to do with it to get it underneath the <h1><h2> tags. I know I can use a top margin, but if the question title goes onto the second line, it will screw everything up.

Looking forward to any suggestions. Thanks!

That's a lot of float  ;)

But haku is right, if you are floating divs, having them next to each other and you want to have another div on another line, simply clear the floats..

#question {
clear:both;
}

You can clear left, right or both..

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Cheers

That worked perfectly, thank you both.

I agree, 100% that it's an awful lot of floats, and I haven't even tried putting two of these in a row, let alone 10 like it will have in the end, so I'm not sure how that will look.

Is there a better way I could achieve the look I want? Here is how it looks now:

show.gif

That is pretty much exactly what I want to achieve ... as I said, I'm going to have one set of these for every question asked, so there will be more below the current one ...  Am I looking at a massive headache?

I appreciate the advice ... I'm brand new to css, pretty much everything I've ever done has been with tables, but I couldn't get the images aligned properly inside of tables, so ... css to the rescue. Suppose I had to learn it some time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.