multiple column search one query

monkeytooth

Is it possible to query multiple columns at the same time using only one search term..

Lets say I want to make a search box, and just a search box on my site for items i have in my database.. Rather then have the user type a keyword or 2 out in one box and select from a drop down next to it to select a "Type" of search. Where in choosing the "Type" my query would search a specific column. I would rather they just type and hit the search button, and have it search across multiple columns at once. But im not sure if thats possible.. the books I have don't cover it, and im not exactly sure what I should look for in a Search to find the type of query I would need to preform, if it even is possible.

In other words..

Table (7 columns)...

User types in Keyword, hits search...

I want my query to search only 3 of the columns on the 7 column table based on the keyword or words that the user provides. Chances are I will need to use a wildcards as well...

if the search yields any results from any or all of the 3 columns then I want to list them out, like I would otherwise with a single column search.

Understood that there is a mysql forum or section rather, but this pertains to PHP as well seeing as I am structuring my query through PHP, and am seeking to know if its possible.

No, this is a MySQL question. How you create the query is inconsequential to the question of how the query should be formatted. [Moving to appropriate forum]. Besides, the solution has already been provided.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.