Is there a way to display local IP address using php?

dlebowski

Hi.  I wanted to know if there is a way in php (i haven't had any luck finding a way) to display the users LOCAL ip address?  I want to do this because the user using my application will be hosting apache on their machine. If another machine on their network wanted to use the application, they would need to know what ip to browse to.

For example:

your ip is:  192.168.1.51

Thanks for the reply.  I have never gotten this to work.  I am using xampp for my web server and this is what my code looks like:

<?php    

echo    $ip = $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"];

?>

Here is the result:

::1

$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

Does not show the local IP-address (unless your surfing on intranet). If your surfing on the internet it will show the IP assigned to you by your ISP. It can also show a made-up IP-address (like 0.0.0.0 equals all IP-addresses on the internet).

The point is, you can't.

PHP is a server-side language, it communicates with clients via requests and responses.

Since (most likely) no browsers support the ability to provide the local ip address in response to any tcp request, you would need to run a script capable of retrieving the local ip on the client machine.

Java is the most obvious since (mostly) everyone has it installed and ready.

-cb-

PHP is a server-side language, it communicates with clients via requests and responses.

Since (most likely) no browsers support the ability to provide the local ip address in response to any tcp request, you would need to run a script capable of retrieving the local ip on the client machine.

-cb-

Apparently they use Java as my JVM started to boot

Except most if not all shared servers :)

? Java is client based, so servers dont need java to be installed at all. Only the clients machine needs the JVM Runtime. And javascript is built into most browsers.

I think he did mean -local- ip address, rather than public.

Hi.  I wanted to know if there is a way in php (i haven't had any luck finding a way) to display the users LOCAL ip address?  I want to do this because the user using my application will be hosting apache on their machine. If another machine on their network wanted to use the application, they would need to know what ip to browse to.

For example:

your ip is:  192.168.1.51

Your question seems a little confusing:

There is machine 1, That hosts your application, the Apache server, and a client (home pc?)

There is machine 2, That may need to know the ip address of machine 1 locally?

So if they are on the same network they are most likely in the same building in which case its redundant.

I dont see why you need this functionality.

-cb-

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.