Storing bank details

liamloveslearning

Hi everyone,

Im building a website for a client where they will need to store bank details of their clients, Im quite naive on this matter and so im quite uneasy doing this.

If anything was to go wrong, who would be held reliable? me the coder? or the client?

Ive read that my client will need to register with the data protection act, but will the bank details need to be encrypted even if its using an ssl cert?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a reason you are doing this?  What I recommend is finding a merchant provider that gives you confirmation codes that you could use to bill an account.  That way all the information is stored with the merchant provider.  Then in the clients site you could store things like the last 4 digits of the credit card or some details that if found can't be used. 

If you really have to store information, you need to make sure you have extremely secure machines, with very limited access for anyone.  This even means hosting companies and their employees.  You pretty much need to have an on premise machine that is highly secure.       

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.