Order MYSQL Results by Size Order in Php??

Wazuke

Hi Guys,

Looking to pull out available sizes for a product from the MySQL database, and then order them in Size order.

EG: Ordering the result of: XL,2XL,M,L,3XL,XS,S

to: 3XL,2XL,XL,L,M,S,XS

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ORDER BY FIELD(size,'3XL','2XL','XL','L','M','S','XS')

Care to elaborate (field() is new to me)? field() returns the index position of size in the '3XL','2XL','XL','L','M','S','XS' list which is thus 0-7 then how does for example ORDER BY 3 help as it would just order by the 3rd column?

Care to elaborate (field() is new to me)? field() returns the index position of size in the '3XL','2XL','XL','L','M','S','XS' list which is thus 0-7 then how does for example ORDER BY 3 help as it would just order by the 3rd column?

Magick ;)

size, FIELD(size,'3XL','2XL','XL','L','M','S','XS')

--------------------------------------------

3XL, 1

2XL, 2

XL , 3

L  , 4

M  , 5

S  , 6

XS , 7

Magick ;)

size, FIELD(size,'3XL','2XL','XL','L','M','S','XS')

--------------------------------------------

3XL, 1

2XL, 2

XL , 3

L  , 4

M  , 5

S  , 6

XS , 7

Thx Mchl Magick indeed ;) I now understand how it works and I'll remember to use that whenever I have a fixed list. Got any resource that contains more of such Magick? Book? Tut?

internet

I can never remember how this is used, so when I need I do this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mysql+custom+sort

That's not what I meant. I surely hoped there would be some specific document/book that discussed these advanced MySQL features/uses and I actually wanted to know the title of this document/book.

Although your lmgtfy turned up some good results :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.