Counting Records very confused...

monkeytooth

I've tried this multiple times, it used to work like a charm too, lately though not so much. I have tried to count them 2 ways..

One:

$totalcount_query   = "SELECT COUNT(*) AS totalcount_rows FROM ".$tableName." ".$appndQ."";
$totalcount_result  = mysql_query($totalcount_query) or die('Error #SQL0003: Query Failed.');
$totalcount_row     = mysql_fetch_array($totalcount_result, MYSQL_ASSOC);
$totalcount = $totalcount_row['totalcount_rows'];

I run these within a function I created to make my code smaller in other areas of the site...

Now thing I should mention is that these still work I get record counts.. the issue with them is when ever I add an "AND" to my clause it fails.

Sometimes I require to find out if something or not already with a particular person so I want to count records like

WHERE user='$userID' AND itemID='$itemID'

The Above fails.. every time as far as getting a count with either mentioned at the top methods.

Now if I do the same thing minus the AND

WHERE user='$userID'

or

WHERE itemID='$itemID'

I get an actual count. Where am I getting this wrong?

Two:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ".$tableName." ".$appndQ."");
$totalcount = mysql_num_rows($result);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.