checking multiple tables have entry not empty

zimmo

I have a system which is working well, but  I need to do one final check. I have 5 tables with different information in. Each table should have some information entered from a form, now I need to check that all tables have had data entered to return true, if any return false then it does not allow them to publish. Just like a check to make sure all information is filled in.

I have never done this so dont know the correct way.

$sql = "SELECT * FROM table_b_details, table_c_info, table_d_tickets, table_e_bank, table_f_publish WHERE fishery_id = '$_SESSION[fishery_id]' AND table_b_details.name = 'NOT NULL' etc.. "; 

I know this is wrong, well I think it is, not sure of the correct way to query different data in each table?

I have tried the following but it is giving me an error. If anyone can help as never done this before.

$sql = "SELECT * FROM table_b_details, table_c_info, table_d_tickets, table_e_bank, table_f_publish WHERE fishery_id = '$_SESSION[fishery_id]' AND complete = 'YES' "; 
$sql_result = mysql_query($sql); 
if (mysql_num_rows($sql_result) ==0)

This means your query failed somehow.

Change

$sql_result = mysql_query($sql); 

to

$sql_result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error().": $sql"); 

and post what error message it shows then.

Oh.... you probably want this:

(SELECT complete FROM table_b_details WHERE fishery_id = '1' AND complete = 'YES')
UNION
(SELECT complete FROM table_c_info WHERE fishery_id = '1' AND complete = 'YES')
UNION
(SELECT complete FROM table_d_tickets WHERE fishery_id = '1' AND complete = 'YES')
UNION
(SELECT complete FROM table_e_bank WHERE fishery_id = '1' AND complete = 'YES')
UNION
(SELECT complete FROM table_f_publish WHERE fishery_id = '1' AND complete = 'YES')

I have slightly changed things, and better explanation at the end. I have created a new table for the terms section so now I want it to query all 5 tables to look for the fishery_id and complete ='YES" it needs to return that all are true, in other words that each of these tables has YES in the complete field. It is not doing that.

Example in 4 of the tables they all have complete='YES" the last table does not as it has had no information entered, so it should return as not valid as their is no row in that table, the same can apply for any of the others, there is no particular order that the tables are filled in. It is a form system and they can switch between different tables. hope it makes sense.

So here is my new query:

$sql = "
(SELECT complete FROM table_b_details WHERE fishery_id = '$_SESSION[fishery_id]' AND complete = 'YES')
UNION
(SELECT complete FROM table_c_info WHERE fishery_id = '$_SESSION[fishery_id]' AND complete = 'YES')
UNION
(SELECT complete FROM table_d_tickets WHERE fishery_id = '$_SESSION[fishery_id]' AND complete = 'YES')
UNION
(SELECT complete FROM table_e_bank WHERE fishery_id = '$_SESSION[fishery_id]' AND complete = 'YES')
UNION
(SELECT complete FROM table_f_terms WHERE fishery_id = '$_SESSION[fishery_id]' AND complete = 'YES')
";
$sql_result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error().": $sql");
$count = mysql_num_rows($sql_result);
{
  echo ($count);
}

Based on the above query it is returning the result as 1 but if one of the selects does not have complete ='yes' it still returns as valid??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.