Open Files Localy Via Browser

benaust

Hi There

I have an html file with some hyperlinks. These hyperlinks are pointing to my pc to some designated folder, let’s say "C:/X-Folder/Y-File.pdf"

The html file is on the server on the internet like any website page, and when I open this html page in my browser on the net, I like the hyperlinks to open the local files in the above example for instance.

Anyone can help?

Any work around or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

A web page who's origin is not the local PC cannot open links/src to local files on the PC, without turning off browser security settings or installing a java applet (also requires the java VM) or installing an IE ActiveX component.

• 1 month later...

Very Right, Specially IE Browsers.

We had to do a workaround. We did this by installing a small apache - PHP server like  "Server2Go" on local PC, Then used the URL to pint to http://127.0.0.1/MyFolder/TestFile.pdf  for example which is the localhost address. Using HTTP protocol we got it to work. Offcourse now there is a small apache running locally on this PC.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.