help needed to start a torrent client website

smahnaqvi

thanks for ur reply

i just have got the DOC and it says

* we track the torrent and save it in specified directory on local disk.

* then webpage should display the link to download in particular category.

* category is the folder name.

* publishing the link would be manual so that administrator can make a good screen shot and then publish link with it.

right now i m designing the layout - and it is very simple - on left side i've categories and rest of the page is links and their screen shots (tabulated)

* no registration is required

* all is free

i guess my boss wanted to start his own torrent site because my company to whom i work with has nothing to do with it

he chose me because i've been the team leader of website development and designing team

and our website is just a promotional website with only html and basic java scripts.

i m still trying to understand the whole document of requirement and got to learn about torrent site

but i m not getting it clearly -

and one more thing

i asked for help because if i dont do the job it will effect my position in company and i have a family to feed.

i talked to my boss about this matter

and he said "tell me something i dont know"

one more thing i got a written and signed letter from him that my name won't appear in any case.

he also confessed that this is a personal project he just need my help - but i can't tell him that i cannot do it alone because again it harms my job.

so please unstuck me if you can

i shall be very thankful to you

I think you need a little more background on torrenting before you continue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrent

Do you need tracker software as well or are you using other peoples trackers?

also none of those sites are even torrent sites. they just like to megaupload and rapidshare files. So if your looking for a link sharing site, try something searching for a link sharing system. There might be one on http://www.hotscripts.com or just google it. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=php+link+sharing+script

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it should be pretty straightforward to create a site that simply hosts/points-to files. Basically database output and searching, but if you need to set up a tracker you're gonna need some sort of dedicated server loaded with the tracker software I'd have thought.

What's this rapidleech php script you speak of?

its a file transloader that transfer files from rapid share and a list of servers to ur hosting site

it uses rapidleech landing page as base but i m still not getting it and just installed it on my machine

but dont know how to use it

i just want to create a website with a good looking layout that i have already designed and allow users to download files from my website for free - no registration - no sign up - just a list of categories and a lots of links with screen shots to download.....

plz help

my boss really sucks!

well, dont get a server within the us.... cause thats gonna be amazingly illegal. If your going to host the files just upload them to your site and put a link to them. If your going to do this though i would highly recommend just linking to the files on megaupload/rapidsearch. hosting them yourself is probably the quickest way to a lawsuit that i can think of.

hosting them yourself is probably the quickest way to a lawsuit that i can think of.

I would second that. Also, make sure that anything to do with this is all in your boss' name, though you'd still be relying on him denying/not mentioning your involvement if it did go to court or whatever. Sketchy.

thank you guys - i m out of US and have talked to my boss about the legal issues - we have a signed agreement that in case of any trouble regarding website i'll be out of it.

anyway thanks again for mentioning the risk - and dude my question is still not answered - plz help me building the site - he wants to show a list of categories on main page and rest of the files behind the category link with screen shots. honestly, i need a php script for this.

something like http://www.re1ease.net/

You might struggle getting someone to write code for you thus getting involved in something riddled with legal issues. However, I have no idea what stance people have on such issues around here.

It seems like what you are trying to build is relatively simple though. In a nutshell you need to add entires to a database such as name, info, screenshot, location of file (or link?) and date added. Then you just need to pull them from the database and display them in an organised manner, according to your layout/styling. Standard gallery stuff really.

If there was no legal issue I'm sure that many people would jump at the chance to work with you, perhaps even without incentive. Alas you may have to stick with advice/found scripts.

Edit: I'd recommend you check out the phpcredo system that thewooleymammoth suggested, it might solve alot of problems for you, especially if you already has ideas/work for the layout.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.