ipn_res.php stopped working after updating from PHP 5.2.11 to PHP 5.2.13

MattMa

Hello,

I have a website which processes paypal payments, I use the well know ipn_res.php (and ipn_cls.php) pair of scripts  to process the response I get from PayPal.

I use hosted Paypal buttons WPS with hosted buttons to pass the buyer to PayPal and I use IPN to track the sale when a successful payment is made.

Last week the script suddenly stopped working after my hosting company updated from PHP 5.2.11 to 5.2.13, I have absolutely no idea what part of the script has failed. I looked on the main PHP website to find deprecated methods but couldn't find anything. I think this problem will affect a lot of people when their hosting company upgrades to PHP 5.2.13.

If you would like to see the two scripts you can download them from http://www.opendb.net/element/369.php

Any ideas anyone?

Regards,

Matt

Does a

You should ask your hosting company if they did any changes in PHP configuration. It is unlikely that such radical changes were introduced in minor version of PHP, so it's most likely a configuration isssue.

That code is really way out of date. It uses $HTTP_POST_VARS instead of $_POST. $HTTP_POST_VARS were depreciated in php4.1 (10-Dec-2001) when $_POST was introduced, turned off by default in php5, finally throws a depreciated error when turned on in php5.3, and have been completely removed in php6.

Change the following line from -

$paypal_info = $HTTP_POST_VARS;

to -

$paypal_info = $_POST;

You should probably also change the short open tag <? to <?php

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.