Can't get left join to work

I'm trying to use this query:

SELECT prizes.ID, prizes.name, prizes.value, prizes.points, SUM(bids.points) FROM prizes left join (bids) on (prizes.ID = bids.prize_id)

to pull data from the database.

Whenever I run that, though, I only get 1 row of data (the first one from the prizes table)...I want all the rows of data.

My MySQL version is 5.0.86.

Here are the tables prizes and bids:

prizes

ID SERIAL
name varchar(100)
value int(4)
points int(5)

bids

ID SERIAL
prize_id int(5)
uname varchar(50)
points int(5)

Data in prizes:

ID  name                                                                                value             points  
3   Amazon.com! Yeah, that\'s right! THE WEBSITE HAHAH... 2147483647 2147483647 
2   test prize                                                                           7                  700 
4   Creative Zen Stone 4GB                                                    65                 6500 

Data in bids:

ID  prize_id  uname             points  
1   2            |m.t.w|kana      350 
2   2            |m.t.w|kana      75 
3   2            |m.t.w| hunted 57 
4   2            |M.T.W|Kana     218 

It's my first time trying to join tables...so it might be something simple.  Thanks ahead of time.

you should add

GROUP BY prizes.ID

at the end of the query

xD  I did that, and it didn't work.  But then I entered a blank bid of 0 points in for each prize, and then it showed up.  So it was only pulling a row of prize data when it had a bid of at least 0 points.  Weird, but an easy thing to fix.

Thanks for the response!

My final query:

SELECT prizes.ID as ID, prizes.name as name, prizes.value as value, prizes.points as points, SUM(bids.points) as total FROM prizes join bids on prizes.ID = bids.prize_id GROUP BY prizes.ID

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.