Running a function by variable value...

ajlisowski

Hey all, lets say I have a variable that contains a function name. How can I call that function without using eval?

More specifically, I have created a grid jquery object. I want to use this on multiple pages to display different data. Depending on the page I want to have certain actions do different things. So right now I pass in an option containing the name of the function I want to call. I then have a function within the jqeury object that runs when the action occurs that evals that option.

I dont want to use eval.

How do I do this another way?

Im confused...I am not using PHP.

Lets say I have an jquery object that has a function submit. I want that function to be able to use a variable to call another function.

$obj.submit=function (callfunc){

eval(callfunc+'();');

}

this would call the given function.

I want to do so better, where perhaps I pass the function itself and not a string containing the function name. And I dont use eval.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.