Group By Function (Mysql 4.1 versus Mysql 5+)

TheMayhem

I come to you guys for a solution on a problem I honestly cannot figure out. I'm a developer for addons for the popular vBulletin script and I have been using the group by function for statistics. The query is listed as:

SELECT *, COUNT(marketid) FROM market_transactions

GROUP BY marketid ORDER BY COUNT( marketid ) DESC LIMIT 0 , 1;

It's a nice looking query that works for 90% of the users including myself. My problem is for the last 10% they are getting a php/mysql error stating:

MySQL Error  : Invalid use of group function

Error Number  : 1111

I looked into it a bit and found the similarities with these users are that all are using mysql version 4.1 instead of mysql 5x series. I can only assume that this is the reason why they are getting this error but don't know how exactly to rescript this mysql/php query to work for them as well or run an alternative for them that accomplishes the same thing. The goal of the query is simply to group everything by the marketid column within the mysql database. Count what has the most table rows for a specific market id and sort it in a descending order to display what is the most popular marketid.

1. Tell them to upgrade. Seriously, the longer you support outdated platforms, the longer they stay around and need support. Even Sun/Oracle is no longer supporting 4.1, so why should you.

2. Even in MySQL 5.x this query is likely to give you bogus results. It is not nice looking. Try

SELECT * FROM market_transactions AS mt CROSS JOIN (
  SELECT marketid, COUNT(*) AS cnt FROM market_transactions GROUP BY marketid ORDER BY cnt DESC LIMIT 1
)  USING (marketid)

1. Tell them to upgrade. Seriously, the longer you support outdated platforms, the longer they stay around and need support. Even Sun/Oracle is no longer supporting 4.1, so why should you.

2. Even in MySQL 5.x this query is likely to give you bogus results. It is not nice looking. Try

SELECT marketid, COUNT(*) AS cnt FROM market_transactions GROUP BY marketid ORDER BY cnt DESC LIMIT 1
)  USING (marketid)

Will a query like that work with mysql 4.x series? Unfortunately, the scripts I am working with still support mysql 4x and therefore what I create as addons should follow suite until the script no longer supports it.

Yeah. Forgot to add alias

) AS sq USING (marketid)

See 'AS sq' in there? That's alias definition for this subquery.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.