Upgrading zend framework

dardub

I'm just starting to learn about zend framework. I was wondering about after you build an application in say zf 1.10. And a couple years later they come out with zf 2.0. How easy and what is the process to upgrade?

Do people usually just build an application using one version of a framework and leave it? Is it a mess to use vendor branches in svn? Just from looking at my somewhat outdated book between versions 1.8 to 1.10 there definitely many calls to functions that need to be changed.

Plans for ZF2.0 include introduction of namespaces, and as such it will break a lot of backward compatibility. Upgrading to 2.0 will probably mean a total rewrite of an application.

For 1.x series you need to keep track of changelogs and look for backward incompatible changes, and if you decide to upgrade, make sure you upgrade your code where needed.

So from your experience, out in the real world is an existing site not likely to be updated to a newer library until for some reason it becomes absolutely necessary? In which case the application would require being rebuilt if the newer changes are too drastic?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.