new references

mannyee

hi guys!!

after few projects in procedural php, i'm now firing off with OOP. i have the OOP concepts and followed few OOP design tutorials, including one mentioned in the 'sticky'.

well, but while writing my own code, time and again, i have difficulty organizing methods,  and such.....

i'm working on a dashboard project...(a mini project that must be completed in a weeK).....i could finish that off in about 3 days in procedural way....but with OOP i'm heading nowhere. at this point i desperately need some  OOP project reference with proper commenting and/or any reference tutorials/guides.

thanks in advance!!

-mannyee

Personally I would recommend to learn OOP by learning Java or something. These languages are much more into OOP than PHP is. I did not understand OOP in PHP, before I learned Java myself. If you want to apply OOP you must know why OOP is so useful. PHP is just a wannabee OOP language.

But it is really useful when building large systems. With OOP you can easily overwrite a class method, without replacing the whole class. So if it is supposed to be modulair system, than I would recommend it. If just a small website, no need to use classes.

I will post you a copy of a class I made for overwriting a default class in PHP: mysqli. You will see why it is useful. I can overwrite the query method in mysqli, but the other methods remain the same.

class mysqli_advanced extends mysqli {

public function query($query) {

if (!$result = parent::query($query)) {

throw new mysqlExp();
      } else {

return $result;
      }
    }
  }

In PHP I would further recommend using classes for building your own exceptions. Which can be useful for logging errors or something.

http://www.brandonsavage.net/exceptional-php-extending-the-base-exception-class/

If just a small website, no need to use classes.

OOP gives you no gain if the project is to small or the deadline to short.

i have difficulty organizing methods

Maybe CRC cards is what you need. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-responsibility-collaboration_card

at this point i desperately need some  OOP project reference with proper commenting and/or any reference tutorials/guides.

Writing effective OOP is not taught by going over someone else's code, for example:

class SearchController extends Zend_Controller_Action {

public function indexAction() {

$this->view->found = $this->searchService->findResultFor(

$this->searchService->select()->where('name LIKE ?', '%' . $this->getRequest()->query . '%'));

}

}

Teaches you nothing if you don't understand the motivation. First you must have a good understanding of the SOLID principles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_%28object-oriented_design%29) and OOP patterns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_pattern_%28computer_science%29#Classification_and_list) and OOP anti-patterns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern) and good practices.

OOP is not taught in merely days or weeks.

thanks for your suggestion guys....

@ignace:

Writing effective OOP is not taught by going over someone else's code

well....i do agree that....i have the understanding of the basic OOP concepts and i've to submit this mini-project for evaluation for my OOP class. someone suggested me that i could take a good reference to start my own. 

what alternatives are there?

i have the understanding of the basic OOP concepts

If by that you mean I know how to write a class, then no you don't. The concepts revolve around inheritance, abstraction, encapsulation, and polymorphism. Do you know what polymorphism means? And what encapsulation means?

And I already gave you resources:

someone suggested me that i could take a good reference to start my own. 

What kind of reference? OOP? OOA&D (as you are creating a project)?

• 3 weeks later...

within these few days....i spent time studying oop patterns and ofcourse the links you provided. but the further i study, the more confused iam.

if you are other guys don't mind....can i post the summary of what my application should do so that you guys can give me hints....?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.