a good relational database tutorial

V

After following several tutorials I still can't grasp the concept of relational databases. I was able to learn and understand advanced techniques and how to query simple data from tables but when it comes down to linking tables, for example topics with certain categories, I get lost.

I'm desperately asking for a noob-proof relational DB tutorial, if anyone knows one.

Thanks for the link! The tutorial was a little difficult to follow but i dissected  the whole process on paper from my own noob perspective than compared it to how it's actually done and it matches :) I'm finally starting to understand db relations.

I have just one question if you don't mind.. For example I have a table for movie genres and another for movie titles.. and I want to query each title under its appropriate genre.

In movie genres I have 2 columns:

genre_id (primary, a.i)

genre_name

and in movie titles:

movie_id (primary, a.i)

genre_id (foreign key)

movie_title

I make my databases in phpmyadmin. For the foreign key "genre_id" is there something I need to do in phpmyadmin?

Ignace, were you paid by Marvel studios to link Iron Man? lol they're plugging that movie everywhere.. made strictly for $$$ no passion :( .. I think.. haven;t seen it

anyways, are you referring to "one to many relationships" ?

No, I was actually referring to a many-to-many relationship as:

- one genre has many movies and

- one movie has many genres

And yes I get paid by Marvel to SPAM that link everywhere and tell everyone how awesome that video, just for doing so I get 1K for every referral. I only just hit $1M ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.