can h1 be used after h2 in body?

xcoderx

It's not invalid HTML. It probably is ok to do it SEO wise as well, but it doesn't necessarily make sense - the H1 tag is basically the title, so if you have another title before it, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

• 3 weeks later...

That's one line of thought. He isn't the only one to think it - I've seen it said before by others.

I personally disagree though - I think this is a massive waste. <h1> tags are given high priority on your site, and if the site name is the only thing ever in the <h1> tag, it is a massive loss of an opportunity to have other high-priority data on your site. Sure, the site name will get a lot of priority, but that isn't going to help you on other searches. And if the site name isn't the same as whatever the site represents, basically it kills your SEO.

<h1> tags are best applied (in my opinion) by having a relevant page name for the page they are on. This way the search engines have an easier time figuring out what the text on that page is all about, and how they should index it, giving you better rankings on searches that match that text.

Interesting, if 2 gurus are against my word. Then I have to test it out myself for real. I have read it from many different sources. I am young to make my sites titles to h1s, and will see the results after few weeks without making any content related changes.

Other thing, will links go in our out of headings???

SEO isn't an exact science. And even though I disagree with only having the site name in the H1 tag, there are other people out there who also know a lot about SEO who would disagree with me. Basically the best thing to do is research the different options and make the decision that best works for you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.