Return data to parent window after multiple child pages

cmattoon

I have a main window for entering information, one field is "patient name". Next to this field is a link that opens up a window via JavaScript.

When I have a simple form (textbox, submit), it returns (child.textbox.value) to (mainwindow.textbox.value).

The purpose of this "lookup" function is to search the database for patients with a last name of, say, Smith. It returns a table of all patients with a last name of Smith (also DOB, SSN, etc)

Smith  John  123-45-6789  12/31/1969

Smith Mike  234-56-7890  01/01/1970

etc...

Next to each name is a checkbox, with a unique patient ID number as the value. This value and $lname.", ".$firstname should be returned to the main window.

Main window >> Search for Patient >> Search Results/Select Patient >> Main window

When I use two pages, it doesn't work.

Main Window: (not sure what "Ratting" means... was in the sample code

<input name="pt_name" type="text" id="pt_name" size="30" /><a style="font-size:x-small" href="javascript:void(0);" NAME="searchpt" title=" Patient Search " 
onClick=window.open("searchpt.php","Ratting","width=550,height=170,left=150,top=200,toolbar=0,status=1,");>
Lookup</a>

Search For Patient:

<form method="post" action="../child_search.php">
(Input Text, Submit)

Child_search.php: (The "frm" and action="") are exactly as laid out in the example, which works.

I've also tried using the original code, which was just using "opener.document" instead of "mainWindow.document". The mainwindow body tag has an id/name of "mainWindow"

<script langauge="javascript">
function post_value(){
mainWindow.document.form1.pt_name.value = document.frm.fullname.value;
mainWindow.document.form1.pt_id.value = document.frm.ptid.value;
self.close();
}
</script>
<form name="frm" action="">
(Search results) -- 
<input type="button" value="Select" onClick="post_value();">

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.