Mysql query help...

ajlisowski

I am simplifying a much larger issue to hopefully be able to get some insight on how best to accomplish my bigger task.

Basically I have two tables, they are identical. We will call them table A and table B. All Primary keys in table B exist in table A, but not all keys in A exist in B. Data associated with the keys of B will be slightly different then that of A.

I want to grab one set of data from A and B where if a key exists in B we use that, otherwise we use A.

In case your wondering why. Basically I have a system where users can modify data but it has to be approved before it can go live. And when said users view the data I want them to see their modified data if it exists, otherwise they see the default data.

The issue with joining that I see is that if I join I will have two results, one for each table. And in the end i need to sort by and paginate based on the results. So lets say I want to sort by price, id have a.price and b.price, one of which would be null, the other a value, how would I sort by both of them?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.