Query Question

tomtimms

I am trying to see if a database either doesn't have a record, or if it contains 1 of 2 results. 

I have a total of 2 databases and there are joined by ID.  Database 1 contains the following.

ID | Amount

1    100

2    200

3    300

4    400

5    500

Database 2 has

ID : Type

1 : on_file

1:  yes

2. on_file

2: yes

3: on_file

4: yes

I need a query that will join database 1 to database 2 on ID then it will return the results where ID doesn't have either "on_file" or "yes" or both.  So my results would end up like.

ID | Misssing

3    yes

4    on_file

5    yes,on_file

I can't wrap my head around this on where to start, I figured out how to get the results where "on_file" and "yes" are both found however can't figure out how to get the results where they are not.  Any starting point would be great.

Very poor db design.

How does yes and on_file differ? What is either meaning?

SELECT (CASE table2.Type WHEN 'on_file' THEN 'yes' WHEN 'yes' THEN 'on_file' ELSE 'missing' END) AS Status, ID
FROM table1 RIGHT JOIN table2 USING (ID)
WHERE Status = 'missing';

My database is fine, I just shortened it up and changed things around to show what I am trying to accomplish.  yes and on file are fields that are required from a user in order for them to get paid.  So yes represents if they were verified and on_file represents there tax information.  If both of those are in the table then they get paid, however if they both are not then they don't.  I am trying to get a query that shows either 1.  there both missing and 2.  if they have one inserted, to get the field that is missing.  I hope that clears it up a little bit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.