domDocument reallyyyy sloww

ohdang888

so in order to get the rss url of a blog (from its blog url), i found and tweeked this simple function below

It works... but its INCREDIBLY slow.. takes like 5-10 seconds sometimes.

Any ideas on how else to better go about this?

function getRSSurl($link)
    {
        $ret = array();
        $dom = new domDocument;
        @$dom->loadHTML(file_get_contents($link));
        $dom->preserveWhiteSpace = false;
        $tags = $dom->getElementsByTagName('link');

/*** loop over the links ***/
        $x = 0;
        foreach ($tags as $tag)
        {
            if(strtolower($tag->getAttribute('rel')) == "alternate" && strtolower($tag->getAttribute('type')) == "application/rss+xml"){
            $ret[$x] = array('title' => $tag->getAttribute('title'), 'href' => $tag->getAttribute('href'));

} 
          $x++;  
        }
    return $ret;
    }

$data = getRSSurl('http://www.example.com/blog/2010/05/22/this-is-the-title-of-the-2nd-post/');

foreach($data as $key=>$tag){
echo $tag['title']." ".$tag['href'];
}

Thanks!

When fetching a remote file it typically won't be very fast. In my experience I haven't found there to be much of a time difference between cURL and file_get_contents, but you can give it a shot.

agreed. And if i use either of those, i have to use regex to find the link tags and grab those attributes... which is sure to be just as slow

I used File_get_contents,  to grab data, and the script took over 10 seconds to load. Upon using cURL, it takes on average 2-3 seconds. It's a vast improvement from my experience.

are you saying you used the code i posted? or your own script?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.