Codeigniter and a PHP newbie?

xjermx

I've thrown myself into the pool, so to speak, and am using some reference material, but a large dose of reverse engineering to teach myself PHP.  My ultimate goal is to be able to create web apps for entertainment sake, browser game type stuff.

I heard a recommendation for using Code Igniter.  My question is this:

As I'm teaching myself PHP, can/should I attempt to utilize CI?  Or am I going to be better off learning PHP, and *then* tackling CI or something like it?

IMO it depends on how well you pick up the basics as it were.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on how easy you will find it to learn you could have never written a line of code in your life, or you could be a *Insert popular programming language here* guru!

If the code you are reverse engineering is written in a proceedural manner then you may struggle trying to get it to work in CI, which a is more object orientated collection of classes, if you do not understand PHPs OOP model. Frameworks are designed to make writing PHP applications easier so there is no reason why you cannot look at it, have a play and see if its for you.

I would personally suggest that you get familiar with the basics and then when you can read the documentation for CI and it kinda makes sense, then progress onto code igniter. Having said that you may very well decide that you don't want or need CI once you have grasped the language or even that you prefer another framework.

Good luck :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.