Problems with save settings code

Greenbox

hi, i get this error when i click the save settings code i got two diffrent buttons on the page one for the save settings and one for save profile im a noob at php so please help me out and see if you can see whats the problem is in this code :) Thanks

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(`sex` , `country` , `day`, `year`, `month`, `msn` , `skype`) VALUES ('2', '', '' at line 1

<?
session_start();
include_once "includes/db_connect.php";
include_once"includes/functions.php";
logincheck();
$username=$_SESSION['username'];
$query=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$username'");
$fetch=mysql_fetch_object($query);

if ($_POST['save_profile']){

$image=strip_tags($_POST['viewprofile']);

$quote = $_POST['quote'];
$bgcolor = $_POST['bgcolor'];
$textco = $_POST['textco'];
$pic = $_POST['pic'];
$musictitle = $_POST['musictitle'];
$profilmu = $_POST['profilmu'];
$updatemusicchange = $_POST['updatemusicchange'];
$avatar = $_POST['avatar'];
}
if ($_POST['save_settings']){

$skype = $_POST['skype'];
$sex = $_POST['sex'];
$country = $_POST['country'];
$month = $_POST['month'];
$day = $_POST['day'];
$year = $_POST['year'];
}

if ($_POST['save_profile']){
mysql_query("UPDATE users (`avatar` , `updatemusicchange` , `profilmu`, `musictitle`, `pic`, `textco` , `bgcolor` , `quote`)
VALUES ('$avatar, '$updatemusicchange', '$profilmu', '$musictitle', '$pic', '$textco', '$bgcolor', '$quote')") or die (mysql_error());
echo "<font color=orange><center><b>Your Profile have been updated!<meta http-equiv=Refresh content=0;url=editprofile.php></font></b>";
}

mysql_query("UPDATE users (`sex` , `country` , `day`, `year`, `month`, `msn` , `skype`)
VALUES ('$sex', '$country', '$day', '$year', '$month', '$msn', '$skype')") or die (mysql_error()); 
echo "<font color=orange><center><b>Your Profile have been updated!<meta http-equiv=Refresh content=0;url=editprofile.php></font></b>";
}

?>

You are also using the syntax for an INSERT query (i.e. INSERT INTO table_name (columns) VALUES (values)) for an UPDATE query. Which type of query are you trying to perform an UPDATE (which looks like UPDATE table_name SET column=value, column=value WHERE ...) or an INSERT?

You are also using the syntax for an INSERT query (i.e. INSERT INTO table_name (columns) VALUES (values)) for an UPDATE query. Which type of query are you trying to perform an UPDATE (which looks like UPDATE table_name SET column=value, column=value WHERE ...) or an INSERT?

im trying to do an update because settings is already in the db

You didn't read what either of us said.

You're using the INSERT syntax for a query, you need to use the proper syntax for an UPDATE query.

$sql = "UPDATE `table_name` SET `field1`='".$field1."' , `field2`='".$field2."' WHERE `field3`='".$field3."'";

What you're using is the equivalent to my example as:

$sql = "UPDATE `table_name` (`field1`,`field2`) VALUES('".$field1."','".$field2."')";

You didn't read what either of us said.

You're using the INSERT syntax for a query, you need to use the proper syntax for an UPDATE query.

$sql = "UPDATE `table_name` SET `field1`='".$field1."' , `field2`='".$field2."' WHERE `field3`='".$field3."'";

What you're using is the equivalent to my example as:

$sql = "UPDATE `table_name` (`field1`,`field2`) VALUES('".$field1."','".$field2."')";

Something like this?

$sex=mysql_real_escape_string(strip_tags($_POST['sex']));
mysql_query("UPDATE users SET sex='$sex' WHERE username='$username'");
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.