Is there any marketplace software?

optikalefx

I don't wanna sound stupid, or give a way a great idea, but I can't seem to find software out there that is made specifically for downloadable "apps" if you will.  Where users can upload their own to the store, and they can be free or paid.  Nothing to do with hardware, just downloadable software. There would be 3 types of users in my eyes, admins, developers and customers. admins and developers share the backend where admins can see more, and customers only can see the front end and their profile.

Does anything like this exist? Or should i get to work making it? lol

It might be better suited to a module than a stand-alone application, since there is really very little different between selling downloadable software and selling anything else. I think your target audience would be pretty small, and probably able to develop their own solution, unless they were straight desktop programmers.

Well, I would like to start discussion with pointing to sf.net and ubuntu.com

Those are two places where I commonly get my apps.

A lot of the time places to download apps provide more than just that, namely project hosting in terms of version control repositories, email, web hosting...

d@abaR But there is obviously a need for specific app markets. For example, pick any digital market.  Lets say kitchen computers.  Although not a huge market, is there any place you can get all apps focuses for the kitchen? Made specifically for computers that will sit in the kitchen? More importantly touch computers that will be in the kitchen that should have apps based soley on touching the screen.  What I'm saying is that yes you can google something, but more and more are the mass public proving that they like apps, they like apps being in 1 place and they like apps that are organized and focused and so they can see what is popular.  More importantly they like that apps are relatively cheap.

@tibberous I've been building a download only store for a while now, and its a lot harder than you think.  Not harder as in difficult, probably not the right word, but you have many different challenges than selling normal products.  For example, there is no shipping, no weight, not inventory not attributes no options.  Those things are  HUGE (and headachy part) of building a normal store.

With downloads you have new challenges, uploading, online storage security, serving downloads in parts not at once, keep track of downloads, serial code generation, license key generation, instant downloading... i mean the list goes on.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.