Imitating the index property

lemmin

I have a list of DIVs in a DIV container and I want to be able to find out what index a specific div is in its parent's children collection. The other way around is easy. If I need to reference the 5th object in the container I simply use container.children[4]. But say I want the onclick event of one of those children to return its index number. This is where I am having trouble.

The OPTION tag has an attribute called index that does just that, but I don't think I can format a select box to look the way I want it.

Does anyone know of a tag that allows this attribute or a way to imitate its functionality? Or even how to format a select box to not look like a select box?

Thanks for any help.

indexOf() is a string function for finding substrings, so that won't work for what I am trying to do.

The implementation of indexOf() depends on the object you are calling, like haku pointed out. When it's a string it'll search for sub-strings, when it's a nodelist it will return the index of a node.

Is this function proprietary to some browser? The Javascript documentation that I use describes indexOf() as ONLY being a method of the String object. I tested the following code:

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function testit(obj)
{
alert(obj.parentNode.indexOf(this));
}
</script>
</head>
<body>
<div>
<div></div>
<div onclick="testit(this)">hi</div>
<div></div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

(I also tried using it on a Collection object.)

And received this error:

obj.parentNode.indexOf is not a function

I am using Firefox 3.6.3

Thanks for the help. This function is exactly what I am looking for if I could just get it to work! Am I doing something wrong?

Any other ideas? I am guessing that there is a way to make this work with HTML properties instead of Javascript. That is why I posted this in the HTML help forum originally. My reasoning is based on the index property of the option element. Another element that has a similar property to this is the table element. You can find out what cell is being clicked on based on its properties. I might actually be able to format table cells to look the way I want, but I would like to know if there is a different element or workaround that would make the code less cumbersome. Maybe a certain list element has this functionality.

Thanks again for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.