Stopping non-logged in users viewing other pages

Smee

Hey,

I have a working site but realise i have not added enough security because users who are not logged in, if they know that /attending.php is a page to the site then they can access it even though they cannot use the functions of the page.

I cant find a lot on redirecting for non logged in users on the net so thought i would try here, has anyone got a tutorial or suggestions on how this can be implemented where if they try access these restricted pages they get taken to the /login.php.

Thanks in advance!

If you use sessions to manage your users, you could add this to the very top of each page.

<?php
session_start();
if (!isset($_SESSION['username'])){
   header("location:login.php");
}
?>

It checks if there is a $_SESSION variable called 'username' and if there isn't, it redirects the user to login.php

Zagga

A header() redirect tells a browser (or a script that has been told to follow redirects) to request the URL that is in the header statement. Without an exit; statement to stop the php script, the rest of the html/php code on the 'protected' page is still processed and output by the web server.

Most hackers use scripts to access your web pages. They have to specifically configure such a script to follow any header() redirect. If you don't and ignore the redirect and there is no exit; statement, the result is the same as if a logged in user accessed the 'protected' page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.