how to send smtp values in mail();

shadiadiph

Hi i have just changed hosts and sendmail is active in php but doesn't work without smtp authentication they don't seem to have any PEAR packages just wondering if anyone knows how to define this in the mail(); function or if it is possible to define the $params for smtp host: port: username: password: ?? 

$send = mail($to, $subject, $body, $header, $params);

Thanks I have had a look at it but looks like it just sends plain text messages I have to find a work around this that can include html css and attachments from the first glance it might work I will give it a go I have so many email templates already set up and working is there really no way to send the smtp login through mail() if not is there another work around in php or does anyone know of a good smtp server reference guide where I can study what the server asks for when you call it as I am sure this could be done another way if need be with fsockopen and fputs and fgets for the server response.

Thank you I will have a look at it, but first I shall have a crack at writing a small function to try to talk to the smtp server should be interesting if mail() can't do it I am suprised there is no function smtpmail() after all it should be simple SMTP simple mail transfer protocol

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.