Two different applications with different sessions

ShopMAster

Hello, You guys have always helped me so I'm coming to you guys again for some help.

I have a site that requires people to login using a username and password. It's at www.mydomain.com.  I have built another application that uses a login system also at the same domain name just in a folder Ex. www.mydomain.com/newapplication/

When I sign into the newapplication (www.mydomain.com/newapplication/) and then open up another window with IE and go to the first application (www.mydomain.com) it has me already signed in as someone else.

Is there anyway to prevent this?  I'm new at this but I'm thinking there has to be a way to solve this.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

- ShopMaster

prefix all session keys with new_app_, e.g. $_SESSION['new_app_user_id'] = 123;

You don't need that just change the domain or path for your cookies.

bool setcookie  (  string $name  [,  string $value  [,  int $expire = 0  [,  string $path  [,  string $domain  [,  bool $secure = false  [,  bool $httponly = false  ]]]]]] )

If it's possible to create sub-domains (newapplication.mydomain.com) you can make the cookies sub-domain specific, like:

session_set_cookie_params(.., '/', 'www.mydomain.com', ..);
session_set_cookie_params(.., '/', 'newapplication.mydomain.com', ..);

Or if that's not an option:

session_set_cookie_params(.., '/newapplication/', ..);

Will set it for /newapplication/ alone although I think this may have the problem that $_SESSION will exist if they come from www.domain.com. However they are no longer logged in on www.domain.com if they came from /newapplication/

I'm sorry I'm kind of new but where would I put:

I know I set cookies in the config file for the application that's running on the root of the domain and I know I'm not setting cookies for the new application.

Do I put it in the header?

Thanks for any assistance.

You would set:

In the PHP files under www.mydomain.com, and:

in the PHP files under newapplication.mydomain.com. This line has to come before you call session_start()

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.