AJAX form submittal?

ShootingBlanks

Hello - I'm still very much new to AJAX and jQuery.  I'm pretty proficient in PHP.  Anyway, what I'm trying to do (wildly unsuccessfully) is this...

A user clicks a link, and a little popup window appears (using jQuery's thickbox - http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/).  In that popup window is just one text input box (in a form named "form") and a submit button.  That all works fine.  But now I need to get that text input submitted to a mysql database.

I've done countless applications using only PHP to submit forms to mysql databases, so I'm quite sure that my mysql code is correct (because it's so simple).  But I'm not sure if my methods need to change (since I am kind of using jQuery/AJAX now), because the data is not submitting.  I'm not getting errors, per se, but it's just not submitting.  Also, after the form is submitted successfully I'd ideally like the user to either:

A) Stay in the popup window with a message saying "thank you!" and a button to close the popup

OR

B) Be taken back to the screen where they originally clicked the link to open the popup, which would now have a "thank you for submitting!" type message.

I can't get that to happen either.  Basically when I click "submit", the page changes to the popup window (but in a full screen now - like, it just goes to that page in a full browser window), and nothing gets submitted.  Here's what my <form> tag is (this is probably wrong):

<form action="pop_add.php?height=250&width=350&modal=true" class="thickbox" method="POST" name="form">

In the above, "pop_add.php" is the page that contains all the popup code (the HTML form, PHP/MySQL submittal code, etc).

Also, in the <head> of that same page I put the following alert (for testing), and I'm getting the results that I expect with that:

<script type="text/javascript">
$("form.thickbox").submit(function()
{

alert("beep: " + this.action);
var t = this.title || this.name || null;
var g = this.rel || false;
TB_show(t,this.action,g);
this.blur();
return true;
});
</script>

(alerts "beep: pop_add.php?height=250&width=350&modal=true")

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be detailed.  I'll shut up now, but if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated!!!  :D

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.